August 02, 2021
August 03, 2015
Today’s the day. For weeks, months, or even years you’ve been making a list of likes and dislikes: sizes, shapes, fins, art, finishes, materials. You have the perfect board picked out and you’re finally ready to take the plunge. Congratulations, you have a new favorite to add to your quiver.
You’re excited, you get home with your new board, bag, and leash, but you’ve forgotten one important thing.. You swore the next board you got would go ding-less since it’s happened time and again. Time and again you love your new board but are hapless with its storage and care, causing careless dings that could have been easily prevented.
Your attention now turns towards protecting and displaying your new (and old) boards. Where do you put them? And how do you put them somewhere they can be seen but safe? Just a hint: look to your walls. Generally in houses and apartments there is a lot of clutter on the floor but a lot of open wall space so it's time to make use of some of the space, add some art, and clean up that floor with a wall mounted board rack.
You start trolling the internet but you’re quickly disappointed. You run into 3 major problems with the racks you find: they’re made from chintzy material which you don't trust to support your babies, they are made from metal and foam and look terrible, or they look decent but only hold one board. Fret not, we have you covered.
Our mission has been to create the perfect board rack and we kept you in mind. The following are the 7 reasons that The Kaua`i Series is the best surfboard rack on the market and why it’s perfect for you.
- Gorgeous Bamboo
We were careful with our material selection. Bamboo is an increasingly popular home décor material because it’s gorgeous. It’s a fibrous and grainy material and looks amazing with our protective finish. Our racks get away from the industrial metal, plastic, and foam feel and get back to the basics of the nature that is the source of our surfing memories.
It’s no secret that bamboo is strong. It has been engrained in societies for thousands of years, used as housing material and even scaffolding for buildings up to 60 stories in Asia. We use ultra strong 1/2" 3-ply cross directional bamboo plywood and a mounting system that would impress even Hercules with it's strength. The Kaua’I Series is rated to hold 150 lbs., which is overkill for your boards but we’d rather be safe than sorry.
Our design is engineered from our mounting system to the angle of arms and board spacing. We’ve designed each rack to hit the sweet spot in between total space efficiency and total displayability of your surfboards. This Series displays your quiver while also being very space efficient AND has two utility hooks for helmets, paddles, wetsuits, etc.
- Ease of Installation
Most racks are big and bulky or have to be completely dismounted to remove them from the wall. We took a lot of time developing our mounting system to make an easy installation rack that has some amazing benefits.
- Installation takes only a few minutes once studs are located
- Our Mounting Bar system allows you to pop racks on and off in seconds in case you are moving furniture, need to paint, etc.
The nature of our Mounting Bar allows for easy lateral cradle adjustment in case you need to accommodate for fins at different widths. With every Grassracks wall rack using the same Mounting Bar, you can easily interchange between our different series for a nice and quick change of scenery and board types.
You not only get a gorgeous and strong material in bamboo, you’re getting a sustainable and eco-friendly material. Blah blah blah, right? Actually, no! In the last few decades, scientists have been heavily researching global climate change and what types of plants can pull carbon (CO2) out of the atmosphere... bamboo is an absolute winner. Not only is it the fastest growing plant in the world, it ranks very highly among plants with the best carbon sequestration. Why does that matter? It means that bamboo is helping clean our planet up and keeping it the way we know and love.
- Support a growing American brand.
If you’re not sold by now here’s one more reason that Grassracks is perfect for you. We’re a young, growing, American company. We consist of two friends from high school that have set out to make a positive impact in the world by offering innovative and eco-friendly products that will actually make your life better. In a time when everything is being shipped out and ripped off by other countries, we’re keeping it here at home.
So what are you waiting for? Check it out by clicking HERE now! Have a friend that would be interested? Share us on FB, Insta, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.!
July 21, 2015
This past Sunday, the surfing world was shaken as a shark attacked Mick Fanning during the J-Bay Open in South Africa. We thought we were losing one of our beloved brothers but when the dust settled we realized some pretty amazing things.
The scene was set, two Australians in the finals, the competition had been intense, the waves were right and then something terrifying. A thrash and an enormous fin. Before we had a chance to catch our breath, Mick was away from his surfboard swimming towards shore and getting scooped up by a ski and then quickly onto a safety boat. In the background, Julian Wilson paddling quickly to Mick’s aid before also getting picked up by a ski.
- It’s easy for us to get caught up in ourselves and forget that the world doesn’t belong to us, it is called home by billions of animals, plants, and nature and we merely share it. The ocean being the least ‘home’ to humans out of any habitat.
- Shark attacks and bumps terrify us when really the only thing the shark is trying to do is eat.
- Our knee-jerk fear brings out our more base human instincts, in this case, fear, courage, and friendship.
July 02, 2015
The year is 1939, the weather is perfect, the waves are perfect, and there’s some guy standing on his longboard before paddling into his wave.. what!?
For the past 10 years, the growth of Stand Up Paddleboarding has been exponential. It means that ‘surfing’ is no longer contained to the coast and no longer has the entry barrier of ability to perform a quick arm paddle and athletic pop to get going. Paddleboarding now allows for watermen and everywhere to use any body of water as their own personal SUP playground.
The problem with Paddleboarding is the board. They’re enormous. They’re outrageously large, unwieldy and often heavy. The combination of length, width, and weight make them harder to maneuver than grandma’s old sofa. This makes them great on the water but what do you do with a 12’+ long, 25+ lb. board that on average costs well over $1500? You do NOT just throw it on the garage floor. These monster boards look tough but over time, enough dried salt water, sand and careless dings will quickly render your paddleboard a display piece.
Just like anything of quality that you own, you take care of it. Just like a car, if you treat it right, it will last you a lifetime. Luckily with a paddleboard it can be easy if done correctly. If you’re coming late to this party, we’re about to talk about paddleboard racks. There are a few out there, and even a few good options, but today we’re going to tell you about our own and why it’s really your only option.
The O’ahu Series by Grassracks. There are a few obvious and some not-so-obvious reasons that this Series should be trusted with the valued members of your quiver.
- Aesthetically, our board racks look awesome. Their edges are soft, their lines are smooth, and each rack is angled to angle boards to maximum display with maximum space efficiency. We designed our products with function in mind with a keen eye on style. When it comes to paddleboards, they do not deserve the foam, metal, and plastic that are overly abundant with racks that flood the market today, they warrant something as high quality and good looking as the board itself.
- Our racks are not simply sketched on a napkin and produced once we think they look cool, they are designed by a team of two: a designer and a mechanical engineer with 10+ years of experience with stress and strain analysis.
- The O’ahu Series and all of our racks have been carefully measured, spaced, and tested to fit the boards intended for each Series. In the case of the O’ahu, longboard surfboards, paddleboards, and wakeboards.
- Bamboo is strong. Layered bamboo is stronger. 3 ply cross-grained bamboo plywood is absurdly strong. In fact, our bamboo plywood has a higher tensile strength (strength per pound) than steel.
- Bamboo is gorgeous. There’s a reason that bamboo is one of the fastest growing home decor materials in the world, it’s beautiful. Next time you see something made out of bamboo take notice of its grain. You’ll see long fibers running up and down length of the material with unique designs at each intra-node point. At the cross sections of each cut, you’ll be able to see the end of a cluster of the bamboo fibers which will almost look like little empty plus signs. Try to count how many there are, they’re the key to bamboo’s strength.
- We designed a new and proprietary mounting system just for our brand. Installing our Mounting Bar takes about a minute and the rest is cake. Each of our racks simply hooks right onto the mounting bar and can be taken as easily. This allows you to adjust arm width in seconds and also interchange our products without re-installing them.
- The weight from your boards is not just borne by the mounting bar, it is dispersed down the entire length of the wall.
- Each added board acts as a cross support, stabilizing both cradles and securing your boards.
All of our products are sealed and protected with a finish to prolong their life and make the grain pop. When it comes to storing your paddleboard, longboard, or wakeboard, there are a few options out there but only one deserving of your quiver. Not only does the O’ahu Series allow you to display your gorgeous boards, it will also give you the protection and space efficiency that will help you sleep at night. It’s not just a paddleboard rack, it’s a way to show the world what you do and a way to keep your favorite memories alive.
Where are your boards right now? What do you do for storage? Tell us and you could win an O'ahu of your own.
May 05, 2015
For watermen everywhere, chafing is a problem and, no, we’re not talking about armpits and nipples. As men, we very often follow the ‘shoot first, ask questions later’ mantra which can get us in a lot of trouble.. In the case of water sports this is applied to us getting so excited to Surf/Paddleboard/Wake/etc. that we don’t take a second to think about important things like sunscreen or chafing.
Most water sports require a lot of leg movement which dictates that other things will move as well. For repetitive motions against often unforgiving materials, there exists a very irritating problem for important soft-skin appendages found ‘downstairs’. Soft, sensitive, uncalloused skin on hallowed parts rubbing on materials not meant for such delicate things.
As is often true in life, we men have be saved by the careful consideration of thoughtful ladies. The concerned ladies at TURQ Sport have taken it upon themselves to put an end to irritating and embarrassing man part chafing by creating a Swim brief that keeps us in place with a soft gentle fabric. Their briefs cut down on movement while employing an incredibly soft quick-dry material thus ending our post watersport chafe.
Personally, I was apprehensive because I thought it would be uncomfortable wearing another layer whilst shredding gnar waves but I quickly realized that the my TURQs are absurdly comfortable. If it was deemed acceptable by society, I’d only wear them with no board shorts at all.
Take a second and check them out. We promise you won't be disappointed. TURQ Swimbrief
Guys, we can’t be the only ones. Have you run into this problem? Wouldn’t you love to sport the Marky Mark Calvin Klein look with a comfortable pair of camo undies and protect your valuables?